I wrote a blog on fun road trips with children. But after recently taking a 3 1/2-day, 2500 mile trip where we drove straight through the day and night both ways with less than 36 hours at our destination, I want to share some thoughts about really, really long nonstop road trips with adults.
- If possible, travel with at least three adult drivers so you can take turns driving and sleeping.
- Drivers must be honest about their level of alertness and switch or stop if too tired to drive safely.
- Listening to podcasts and Spotify playlists are enjoyable diversions.
- Don’t expect meaningful or pleasant conversations with the other people in your car if you’re the only person awake.
- Yerba Mate is a good alternative to coffee.
- Packing lunches and snacks will cut down on time spent stopping for meals.
- Expect GPS to lead you to a road under construction at least once on every trip.
- Don’t attempt this pace unless your schedule demands it.
- When the event you attend is as glorious as this family wedding, you’d do it all over again.
You just have to keep driving down the road. It’s going to bend and curve and you’ll speed up and slow down, but the road keeps going.Ellen DeGeneres